Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Luke's Big Month

We are so proud of this eight year old boy. 
We kicked off the month of November with lobster. Yes lobster. At least that was his plan, to eat a whole lobster for his birthday dinner, and he was completely serious about doing this.  So Rice treated us all to dinner at Red Lobster. While waiting to be seated we watched the cute little lobsters crawling around in the big tank. I asked Luke which one he was going to pick to eat and he looked at me and then stared back at the lobsters for minute before picking out the biggest one. When it came time to order Luke told us that he didn't want to eat the lobster anymore and just wanted to get some crab legs. I don't know if he felt bad for the big lobster back in the tank or if they just didn't look that appetizing to him but I do know it's always hard to make friends with something before you eat it. So here he is eating his crab legs.
I think Luke and Ava were happy they hadn't eaten their lobster friend because later a waitress brought him over for the kids to pet.
Mmmm...
We celebrated with Nana and Aunt Dian too because Luke's birthday is sandwiched right between theirs. So we have birthdays on the 31st, the 1st and the 2nd.  
My Mom and Dad flew into town a couple weeks later for Luke's baptism. My Dad got time off from work for Thanksgiving, so we had the baptism on the 17th. The 17th was a very big deal for Luke. He was so excited about that day... the 17th. Because that day... the 17th...was his baptism day. So the 17th was talked about a lot at our house. ;) A week before the big day I took him up the canyon to take a few pictures. I love these pictures. The kids were really sweet to each other. Plus it was just one of those perfect fall evenings. On our way home we stopped by the canyon golf course for some hot cocoa. 

I was glad we took pictures when we did because the next day it did this...
We lost a couple branches off our little tree from all the wet heavy snow.
Then came the big day...the 17h.  He was so excited!
He and Ava had carefully colored each of the programs. I gave a little spotlight about him. Both his Grandpas talked about baptism and receiving the gift of the Holy ghost. Ava took her part of leading the music very very seriously and she was sooo cute. Luke had picked out the songs, I love to see the Temple and When I am Baptized. Then Jeremy baptized and confirmed him. It was a really neat day for all of us.  As I was writing down somethings for his spotlight, I realized just how lucky I am to get to be his mom and what a great example he is to me. He has such a kind heart and is just a good boy. We all love him so much and are very proud of him.  I hope he always remembers how he felt on this special day... the 17th. Thanks to our families for all your love and support.






 We ended the day by launching all of Luke's birthday rockets with Papa John. 
Luke's new nickname should be Rocket Man, he is pretty much obsessed with rockets. After his first rocket crashed, RIP old Moon Mutt, he asked for a new one for his birthday. He got FIVE. It doesn't get much better then that... except maybe it does... Luke also got a certain watch from Grandma Barker. This watch is pretty cool, it's just like Daddy's.  It's waterproof so it can be worn at all times, even in the shower which is very important I guess. I mean who wants to take a watch off before showering? Not me. It's also very important to be able to give out lots of useful information like "that took exactly 17 minutes to get from Grandma's house to ours". So If you ever need to know the time you know who to ask.:) I love that sea food eating, watch wearing, baptized, sweet little Rock Man of mine.

No comments: