Friday, February 27, 2015

"Are you gonna puke or no?"

     The stomach bug has made it's way around our family the past couple of weeks and it's been a rough go. Luckily it was the "exactly 24 hour" bug, so at least you knew there would be an end in sight.
     Poor Ruthy had it before I really knew what we were dealing with. That morning we dropped the kids off at school then drove to Leah's six month doctor visit. Ruthy had mentioned how her tummy felt yucky when she woke up but I had thought a big breakfast fixed it...little did I know! No sooner had we pulled into the parking lot at the doctor's office and turned the car off, the puke started spewing. Calmly (because I am always so calm when my kids puke;)) I opened Ruthy's door to assess the damage. It was bad, real bad.  I stripped her down to her undies and wrapped her up in a sweatshirt that Luke had kindly left in the car and called the office to let them know we would not be making it to our appointment and rescheduled. We took a quick pit stop at the McDonald's drive thru for a large Sprite and spent the rest of the day watching movies and scrubbing out the car.
    A few days later when the bug finally made it's way to me, Jeremy took the day off to take care of me...so sweet... and I repaid him by getting him sick. I remember thinking while I lay there ready to puke at any moment, how grateful I was that this would only last 24 hours and not months and months like morning sickness always did, so glad to not have to worry about that anymore.
     Through it all at least we had a couple great quotes to keep us laughing. The, "Are you gonna puke or no?" came from Ruthy. Awhile back she had taken off her shoes and stuck her stinky little foot right in Grandma Barker's face because Grandma always likes to joke about feet being "Chu gek" which is how they say stinky feet in Chinese (but spelled very very wrong I'm sure). To which Ruthy asks in her very serious voice "Are you gonna puke or no?".
     Then there was the "Turkey Virus" quote from Laura.  Months ago Karen was preparing a turkey to stick in the oven and told the kids not to touch anything because turkey can have salmonella and it could make you sick.  I think they asked what salmonella was and Karen probably told them it was a kind of bacteria. Later that night Laura puked (not because of salmonella). She told Karen crying that she thought she had caught the "turkey virus". Dang you turkey virus! We never want to see your face around here again!!! Hopefully no one else caught the turkey virus from us.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

"Or no?" :)
I'm glad you guys are all rid of the awful turkey virus.